Designed to be a tribute to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, a hero in India’s independence struggle, the gargantuan ‘Statue of Unity’
stands 182 metres high, nearly twice as tall as New York’s ‘Statue of Liberty’
- At 182 metres, Statue of Unity is the tallest statue in the world. It towers over China’s Spring Temple Buddha statue by 29 metres and the world famous Statue of Liberty by 89 metres. The height of the base of Statue of Unity is 58 metres
- The statue faces the Narmada Dam and is located on river-island called Sadhu Bet near Rajpipla on Narmada River.
- Designed by Padma Bhushan recipient sculptor Ram V Sutar, it is located between the Satpura and the Vindhya mountain ranges near Kevadia town in Gujarat.
- Over 3,000 workers, including 300 engineers from Larsen & Toubro (L&T), built the statue within three-and-a-half implements were obtained from years. Around 129 tonnes of iron nearly 100 million farmers in 169,000 villages across all states for the statue.
- The bronze cladding of the statue was done by China’s Jiangxi Toqine Company (JTQ). The innermost layer of the three-layered structure is made of reinforced cement concrete (RCC), steel and 8 mm bronze.
- Statue of Unity will turn from its original bronze colour to green in 100 years due to natural aging process.
- The statue will be able to withstand earthquakes and wind speed upto around 100 km per second.
- Four high-speed lifts are fitted in the statue’s legs. Each lift can carry 26 people to the top in just above 30 seconds.
- The statue has a viewing gallery at 153 metres from where around 200 people can have a panoramic view of the Sardar Sarovar Dam, and the Satpura and Vindhyachal mountain ranges.
- A museum, a 3-star lodging facility, a food court, memorial garden and a grand museum are part of the Statue of Unity.
- Designed to be a tribute to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, India’s first Home Minister and hero in India’s independence struggle,who is credited with uniting 562 princely states in pre-independent India to build the Republic of India.
STATUE OF UNITY
Height. Statue: 182m
with base: 240m
Began: 2013. Cost: $430m
Material: Steel framing,
Viewing gallery: Located
at chest level, serviced
by two fast elevators
TALLEST OF THEM ALL
How the statue compares with other world monuments including pedestal
Sources : http://statueofunity.in